Friday 15 June 2012

Social Media : Art Marketing via FB or LinkedIn ?

Having recently moved my strategy for marketing my art on-line via social media , away from FB and placing a heavier emphasis on LinkedIn , I can certainly see an improvement in genuine art interest and connections more applicable to developing professional contacts and projects to follow. FB was a start and a learning curve...its a friends and family network for me now, but has drawbacks in that many work associates use it too and want to see and comment on ones every move....thus freedom of expression is not possible , with work considerations and politeness controlling the process , which for me,  is a negative.
LinkedIn provides a platform directly applicable to subjects and groups that interest me, and cuts out all the personalities that are inconsequential to topic and direction. For me its all about the primary focus here, which , for me is art. FB, brings all that social banter and comment on someone,s breakfast start, LinkedIn is simply focussed around the users needs as directly related to their professional direction and aspirations.

I suppose that Linked In takes the best of what FB offers and delivers a more refined result and outcome tailored to the users needs without all the periphery of social baggage that FB carries.

Having recently worked with Hull University on Web2 projects, I have learnt to refine my needs more accurately as to what  need to take away from social media , and how it can be a tool to help me promote my work. Through the guidance and excellent lectures and classes I attended headed by Kevin Burden of Hull University , I can now fully integrate my on-line processes to link all my interest areas, multi-post via one entry and consolidate my sites effectively to work towards marketing very effectively. Technology is a wonderful tool to stretch the audience and exposure of artists to the world, and effectively eliminates the Gallery Director as a controlling factor towards ones success, as virtual galleries are definitely the way forward to promote and sell work on-line. Its catch 22 though, as with more exposure , so the competition increases and one has to stay one step ahead of the pack to get high rankings in searches. After my studies I fully realised the power of tags and links and how they can catapult a site from 48 to 2 overnight , with the correct process and methods used. I design and build sites successfully now and enjoy a steady stream of visitors from all over the world who browse and sometime purchase work. Thus I have clients and patrons now from all corners of the globe, not possible before when dependant on the whims , ways and wants of gallery directors , who either like or reject you....often based on on their perception of what good art is....as if that could ever be defined truly? Thus its a subjective opinion controlling your art and ultimately affects you as creative person...rejection can be very disheartening to artists seeking to get a foot in the door...but no more , we, as artists with a little savvy and certainly having a good teacher and lecturer helps, now can create our own galleries and we now own that process that for so long dictated that only a few were noticed and supported by the public at large. As I said earlier its a system with technology that makes competition more fierce, but it allows us as artists to control our showings, albeit virtual , in environments we now own and control. The web has allowed artists to be seen and sell work I believe more readily.
I base that premise on my own experience, and personally believe that in times ahead to be a successful artist , one will need the skills to integrate social media with ones work as a tool of success and necessity, to being ultimately seen and exposed to audiences, in a world that is now mobile and very much web driven.
Foe artists we need t embrace the changes of technology and I believe today a web footprint , is certainly the way forward to promote one s art and self in what is now a very competitive market. LinkedIn is now my choice , at least until something newer and more exciting is developed....

Anyway, I've uploaded some new work below , that is ready to go public now....





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.