Saturday 9 June 2012

Of Emotion..Cryptic Messages and Ghosts from the Past..




Its strange how as artists we are often driven by emotional stimulus , often from the past that returns to haunt old memories of experiences past...cant help but be drawn back into the memories of what was a very emotional and traumatic time some 5 years ago now...always coming up to the summer , the memories come back of a time that was not good for me. I throw myself into my art and try to put all those past questions behind me somewhere , but they creep up and sit on my shoulder as I work. Technology means that those connections to the past seem inescapable now , with social networking and links that appear to just appear, linking me back to that time , again, almost by magic. The upside is that some of my best work has been produced when perplexed by questions and pensive moment reflecting on what outcomes could have been possible back then...but, human behaviour is a funny thing that is so unpredictable. I guess I hate losing control of a situation , must like an art project...sometimes it runs away and is best left for weeks or months , then I return with fresh impetus and complete that problem that was previously impossible to solve...much of my life seems to reflect that process of forward and back...just as in relationships...been working on a massive oak figure over the last few months, now at the end stages of polishing and that too has been a journey...forward and back to get it just right....so its pensive summer time now as I remember the day standing in the rain and waiting for an answer, only to be turned away...I think some abstract work will help the old creative impetus in the next week...hope so...need some colour now in my work. Posting some sculptures completed in the last few months...will post the monumental figure on Monday..hopefully.