Saturday 16 June 2012

Artists Reaching Out to New Markets.

I have spent a number of days pontificating on how the advance of technology is changing the way artists market their work and how we now have to be multiple skilled within IT systems as well as our chosen mediums of creativity. In days gone by, for Academics , it was publish or perish, I can't but help think that today within art markets, it's the self same outcome if one doesn't remain visible on the information highways, either via we sites ranked within top searches or very active within business networks online or within popular social networks. The world of marketing has changed and without a strong web presence, the artist is soon lost to these virtual galleries and tech savvy audiences. The times have been a changing for the sale of art, today in 2012, the competition is fierce and I am constantly reminded by how many of us are competing for projects, commissions and sales, when browsing the many online galleries selling art online. I also see how many designers and project managers are now featured online, also bidding for work and new assignments. In the light of these two enormous sectors , which work symbiotically , to succeed in either discipline , is some mean feat, if one is fortunate to have a steady sales line or multiple projects to manage. I adapt my creative processes to all bespoke work and never turn down projects on the basis it leads to other larger projects. As previously stated most work is from online contact and most often I never see or meet the client or collector or designer. technology has moved the way we do "selling" into a whole new dimension, where Skype is the often only pseudo real time interaction between artist designer or client. The advantages of online marketing, for my art is invaluable, it happens 24hrs a day without too much effort to keep it active.For me, my work shows all day everyday and reaches all corners of the globe, not ever possible, using one or two real time galleries. I am sure that more art is sold online today than from real time galleries, as was the case just ten years ago. I do enjoy a real time exhibition though as nothing beats the feeling of standing in front of a Bacon or large Picasso in the National Gallery...that simply can't be recreated online. But as I said before, more people are exposed to the arts today via the www, and for me, as an artist, that is uplifting. The information highway means that at least a greater audience by sheer volume can enjoy art, instantly, and buy art relatively effortlessly,without leaving the sofa. One of the positive developments in this regard is that art is now essentially marketed by the artist and thus the often subjective viewpoints of gallery directors, can be bypassed to allow art to essentially flourish in a free environment, with the public-viewer being allowed to access a much broader spectrum of visual delights. IT has essentially leveled the playing field , allowing for a fairer process of selection and exposure to markets, to exist. I do wonder how the world of art will be portrayed and marketed on the www in 20 years time? How will we interact with our virtual audiences and designers? I read somewhere that holographic imagery will emerge in time....wow, a sculpture in my living room, as a 3d image that I can walk around....and admire...that's technology I could very easily embrace....bring it on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.